July 2, 2012

Mommy-Daughter Trip to Scotland


My daughter has really been wanting to see the new movie Brave.  So I thought it would be a perfect activity for our Mom-Daughter Date.  But, instead of just going to the movie, I planned a "trip to Scotland" to make our day more memorable.  Since the movie takes place in Scotland and all the previews show the main character (Princess Merida) doing archery, that's what I planned our activity around.

First, we had to fly to Scotland.  I set up our living room to look like an airplane by simply arranging my daughter's stuffed animals as the pilot, flight attendants, and other passengers.  Then I printed off our tickets to Scotland and we boarded the plane headed to Scotland!

While on the plane we watched some You Tube videos of Scottish musicians and dancers and snacked on peanuts, fruit snacks, and a cup of water.  


When our plane landed in Scotland our first activity was to make our own Scottish plaid table cloth.  I had a large piece of butcher paper and we made a plaid pattern by drawing lines across and down.  Drawing the plaid pattern was also a good practice in following color patterns too.  

When the table cloth was done we set the table for a Scottish lunch.  We had traditional UK fish and chips served cabbage (or coleslaw), berries, and biscuits and mugs of cream soda.


I also hung the Scotland flag in the dining room to make it more authentic (and because the Scotland flag is so simple to make).


After lunch we did our second activity -- archery!  We made these cute bow and arrows with popsicle sticks, floss, and Q-tips.  I found the tutorial from the blog The Brooding Hen.  


The tiny bow and arrows shot really well and we had a lot of fun practicing our archery skills.


 I made a LARGE bullseye so we would be sure to hit it. ;)

Finally we ended our day in Scotland by going to the movie Brave.  Now my daughter and I are world travelers, can't wait for our next adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...