July 16, 2012

Felt Shapes

Today we're go over how to make colorful felt shapes.
 
To make my shapes, I decided to cut out a variety of shapes including circles, squares, rectangles, stars, etc.  So I grabbed my stash of colored felt and scissors and went to work.

I cut my shapes so that some were the same size and color and some were different sizes and colors.  With the circles and stars you could print a pattern and trace it first before cutting them out, but I liked doing some free-hand too so they were each a little unique and not quite perfect.  You could also trace cookie cutters or other household objects for your shapes, whatever is easiest for you.


 Felt shapes and a flannel board can be just as fun as plastic shapes or building blocks.  Shapes are fun because you can use your imagination and build all kinds of things: people, cars, houses, large buildings, bridges, etc.  Every time you and your kids play with the felt shapes, you can make something different.


Felt shapes can also be a great teaching tool for children.  For a toddler, it can help them to identify different shapes and colors or illustrate difference between little and big.  For school-aged children you could cut some of the shapes into halves, thirds, fourths, etc. to be used as part of a simple math activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...